Wrenn box please

Hi again all

I know it is a longshot, but a friend has asked me to try - he is chasing a Wrenn City of Birmingham box. His uncle passed away and had one of these in a display case and now that everything is being distributed to family members, he has been given this loco. It is the only one they can't find a box for.

Anyway, I offered to see if I could source a box etc. for him so if anyone has one for sale, or can refer me to someone who might, that would be great

many thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

Bugger! I sold a Wrenn renamed Duchess a couple of weeks ago in a 'City of Birmingham' box. The guy wasn't even bothered about the box, but took it to carry to loco home in! Don't know who he was so can't offer to try & track it down for you.

You didn't want to know that did you? :-(

John.

Reply to
John Turner

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Reply to
mindesign

In today's collectors' conditions, shouldn't that be selling the box, with a loco inside :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

snip

I hope that it is a green W2228 version, in which case you will find what you are looking for at

( at a price of £18.)

Good luck!

Dave Westerman

Reply to
David Westerman

my goodness - a box costs £18?

WOW!

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

I would have thought that was not excessive. Adding an original box to an otherwise unboxed loco would increase its value by mayby 40-50%. You've already proved there is a market for empty boxes.

I've got a pre-war Hornby O-gauge No2 Special 4-4-2T loco box in reasonable order which I've been offered GBP100.00 for - that I've still got the box must tell you something.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

mindesign said the following on 20/05/2006 08:05:

Hence Jim's comment....

When I sell stuff on eBay (haven't for a while now), I usually make some sarcastic comment about box collectors along the lines of "If you're more interested in the box than the model, this is what it's like." Doesn't affect sales at all!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

What Steve means is he would rather not have to pay £18 for it :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

LOL - I sussed that, but a good quality original box is a very marketable quantity, even for a relatively common item, although clearly the value varies enormously and reflects the value of the item which seeks a home in said box.

John.

Reply to
John Turner