115v spot welder - ideas for uses

Hi,

I just picked up a 115v spot welder at auction today. I tried it out and its pretty neat. Besides use on panel work on a car, what other projects would this be useful. I typically use a roper whitney hand punch and then make spot welds with my mig.

Aloha, Russell

Reply to
Russell Shigeoka

I have one I borrow, wish I had one for the home shop.

Typically used for sheet metal ductwork, boxes, and car work. I have done pull tests, a good joint will hold until it tears the base metal out in a .200" diameter circle.

Works great on thinner steel, watch out for poor joints as you get up to it's max capacity. The 110 volt /1.5 kw units typically wimp out near .120" total thickness. Galvanized stock is limited since you need to burn though the zinc plus it tends to wipe out the tips fairly rapidly.

A used one is likely to have some mashed tips, you need to either turn the tip down in a lathe or get new ones. I have a holder that chucks up in the lathe, turns tips nicely. Be sure to use the special conducting grease to install the tips or you will get hot spots at the joint that weld the tips to the arms.

Have fun!

Russell Shigeoka wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ