mig with straight argon?

I wondered what straight argon is like in a mig on steel?
I have just run out of argon and will save >£50 a year[i hope] if I
just get
a cylinder of argon and take my argoshield cyl' back..
I changed to small cylinders a few years ago they didn't save me
anything as the filling costs negate any savings, but if i was to use
argon in both mig and tig I might save..
I seem to recall using argon in the mig a long time ago, and also seem
to recall
better penetration with argoshield?
--
richard
Reply to
richard
Why not get a CO2 tank to go with your ar tank and make a mixer, use mixed (by you, on the fly) ar/co2 for the mig and ar for the tig. If you want straight co2 for the mig you've got that too, from 2 tanks.
Reply to
Mark
Pure Argon gives very poor penetration on MIG steel welds. It is used for MIG aluminum and Copper.
Pure CO2 is the cheapest solution, but you will get a lot more spatter, along with very high penetration. CO2/Argon mixes are the best MIG solution for steel. C25 is the most common MIG gas for steel in the US. 75% Argon, 25% CO2.
Even hotter mixes are Argon / Oxygen, but the oxygen is never above 4%.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Try getting a CO2 tank from a Pepsi or Coke distributor. I pay 20 bucks for the 20 lb tank and there is no lease, you just exchange forever. Some places may charge a deposit which is refundable after you return the tank. Tell them it is for a soft drink or beer keg dispenser. ( They may not want to let you take it for welding although in reality it will not harm the tank at all) I use this for steel and lease a helium argon mix for aluminum.
Reply to
habbi
Straight argon will spray transfer if you have the volts and current, It is a lot of fun, but hot!
Les
Reply to
PIW
you can yse straight argon ,but you tend to get roll over on the edge of he fillet,i.e it does not wash in to the corners of the fillet,argoshield has a % of co2 &a bit of o2 to help penetration &edge wettting,how much is your cyl rental in the uk,its about 10.00 per month here in NZ ,a small price to pay for goood guality hope this helps Keef
Reply to
keef