1st tigging

Hi, all. This afternoon, I used the Dynasty in tig mode for the first time. Pretty neat. I was welding up the seams in an 18 ga. mild steel drawer I had the sheet metal shop bend up for the welding cart. I learned a lot, like positioning myself to actually see the arc, finding a position that allowed me to steady my torch hand on my knee, remembering to turn on the gas, and lots of others. Once I could see the arc (also had to increase the hood sensitivity) I didn't contaminate the tungsten any more. Researching Ernie's posts helped a lot, thanks Ernie. I was using 1/16" 1.5% lanthanated tungsten at 50 A. I definitely could use a better tungsten grinder.

The best looking welds were toward the end when I quit adding filler as an experiment. The edges fused together very neatly. I'd guess filler on the inside would increase the strength by reducing the stress concentration, but it won't matter in this application.

Pretty cool. I'm definitely glad I got the welder.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Nice work, Pete. Like you, I'm far from a weldor, but I've enjoyed having a TIG machine immensely. I've never regretted buying mine. One of the things I appreciate is the ability to make welds as you've described without the use of filler. I would think that if one had but a single choice, TIG would have to be it, depending, or course, on the nature of the work at hand. I understand that anything that can be welded can be done with TIG, although much slower, and perhaps at a higher cost per inch, but then it addresses pretty much any problem we home shop types will ever face.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Cool Pete! I bought my tig machine a few weeks ago and it's awesome. Challenging, but rewarding as hell when you get the hang of it. I am finding any reason i can to fire that baby up! good luck, walt

Reply to
wallster

Did you get the Dynasty 200SD or Dynasty 200DX? I'm considering both of those, but I'm not sure how much I would use the pulsing feature of the DX model on autobody sheetmetal. Some people say it's mostly for aluminum, and others say it's perfect for thin gauge mild steel. Opinions? Experiences?

Reply to
rcp

The pulser/sequencer built into the 200DX is well worth the small difference in price.

They may seem like complicated features, but you will learn to love them for sheet metal work.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie's da man. I'm just a beginner, but my thoughts were if I could afford a Dynasty for a hobby machine, it might as well be the DX. I doubt I'll be buying another welder anytime soon.

Then again, a Readywelder spoolgun powered from the Dynasty might be nice.....

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III