Additional on Hobart 140A-120v

I met a Native American grad named Matt, of the local Job Corps welding program. He was also a Boilermakers apprentice. He was good. Damn good. In fact while enrolled in the Job Corps a welding instructor in another Jobs Corps site 120 miles away became sick and this Matt student was sent there for 5 weeks to sub while the instructor recovered. . . . I had two 3/8" x 6" x 12" that I wished to make into a foot square plate. He said I'll do it for you. He took my Hobart 120v 140 amp (with gas) and connected the two in one pass. He took alot of time preparing the gap (no Vee) and I believe he used about 1/8" gap and had the wire positioned down to 1/8" from the bottom to start...one pass. Damn, as a retired journeyman Ironworker, now I not only have to be jealous of the Pipefitters but the Boilermakers too.

Reply to
chas

that's some "narrow-groove welding"!

I've done something kind-of similar in steel fabrication - on similar thickness - catch the wire on the underside edge to start the arc in the "root" - but keep the arc running along there and multi-layer the full-thickness "narrow groove" weld. For welds to no particular specification and with no great strength requirement...

Any recommended practice for this?

Reply to
Richard Smith