Was: Voting...now Freedom, etc - still OT and a bit on the long side

I entered the Marine Corps in 1966. You can count me among those who volunteered, as did four of my college football and wrestling team buddies. Of the four; one, like me, came home with multiple Purple Hearts, but under his own power. One came back sans both legs. The third came home in a box. The fourth came home early. In December of 1967, he was shot through-and-through the jaw by an Ak-47 bullet that shatteres it on both sides. He survived but it took over 5 years of reconstructive surgery before he could work it properly. When we would go out drinking (and we did often back then), he would have to drink his beers through a straw. Somehow, that doesn't sound like the aftermath of a regular old job, does it?

As an aside, Larry went into working the high iron after he was discharged. He was tragically killed in 1992 when the ironwork on the new Chicago Post office collapsed, dropping him 5 floors, then buying him under a couple tons of steel girders that went down with him.

When I came home from Nam in Jun 1968, I was met at O'Hare Airport by my mother, father, girlfriend (now my wife), uncle (a WW-II 101st vet), and several aunts. I was in uniform and I was damn proud of it, too. A group of protestors standing in the concourse, began screaming obscenities at me untile the bravest of the bunch ran up to me and threw a bag of dog shit at me as we werer all walking from the gate to the main terminal. In the end it did not go well for the thrower as my instincts took over; afterward, I felt sorry that my mother and aunts had to witness me bloodying the hair-head.

It's not a particularly unusual story and many Vietman vets could tell a similar one. Neither I nor any other vet is looking for anyone to kneel before us and kiss my feet for serving in the military or going to Nam (nor do I expect them to do so for my Ops URGENT FURY, DESERT STORM, VIGILANT WARRIOR, Somalia or Iraq combat service. However, I think you do owe the respect of doing something (whether drafted or enlisting) that many others dodged, shirked, or just plain ran away from. In the end, however, I suppose those who didn't serve have no frame of reference so it is impossible for me to convey those feelings to you.

>We didn't volunteer to keep his ass free we did it to keep everyone's ass >>free. He just happened to luck out that we were willing to include his sorry >>ass. > >Your first statement is accurate >assuming that your sole purpose for >joining was protecting freedom, but your >second borders on nonsense. Just what >day was the meeting where >you all met to decide if I was allowed to >be included in your freedom?
20 Jan 67 (Yes, the date does have a significance)

I must have been on the firing range at

>the academy that day learning >how to protect your daily freedom.

In the 8 years (71-79) that I spent "serving and protecting" the daily freedom (actually daily safety would be a better term, don't you think) of largely ungrateful and uncaring citizens of the Windy City, I spent my share of time on the firing range as well. What do I win?

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

No, it doesn't, but then again I never said it was a regular job. The experiences of you and your friends are heart wrenching, but not unexpected based on what you volunteered for and especially during the period in which you volunteered. It was honorable that you and your friends bravely fulfilled your commitment and I applaud you for doing it, but I just don't equate fulfilling one's duty to being extraordinary. Individual actions in combat and how you deal with the aftermath can truly be extraordinary, though.

Yes, that truly is tragic.

Nobody who has served honorably deserves to be treated in that manner. Your experience is an example of when I'd be embarrassed by the action of my fellow Americans.

I agree to a point. However, this is where I think it becomes somewhat murky, though. Anybody who serves courageously and honorably absolutely deserves to be treated with respect. But as you well know, not everybody serves in the same manner. In my department there are officers who perform the job with honor and integrity and others who are lazy, racists, bend the law, are corrupt and many combinations in between. Do they deserve respect simply because they are law enforcement? I think not. It is the same for the military. The institution deserves respect and the individual earns respect based on his actions.

Fourteen years this January for me .

A decent living and the satisfaction knowing that on some level you made a difference in someone's life.

Unfortunately, I hit a hot button by simply responding to William Powell for throwing down his military service in a discussion that really had nothing to do with that. I made many other points that I thought were much more provocative. Oh well.

Dan Hartz

Reply to
DNSH

I had my lower jaw destroyed in a fall off a ladder painting a customers house. Like I tell people who ask, ya havnt lived untlill you've had to pull the remains of your jaw from what was left of your face just so you could keep breathing before the ambulance arrived. Cost me 10 grand of my own $$$ for the bill (s) And yes, I had to EAT through a straw for many many months afterward..... Lost a litre of blood within hours when it happened :( This was my regular job too !

I was thinking the same thing ? Do I get any awards for reloading 10,000 rounds of ammo a year for years and shooting it at the range ? (It was big fun tho, so I guess I got my reward there :)

I will always be gratefull for your, and all the other vetrens sacrifices !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
AM