Voting Machine Security

A disturbing new attack on a Diebold touch-screen voting system, as created and demonstrated by Argonne National Lab's Vulnerability Assessment Team (VAT). Allows votes to be changed remotely, without requiring any knowledge of, or any change to, the voting system's software. Little more than $10.50 for parts (another $15 for the optional remote control, allowing access from up to half a mile a way), and an 8th grade science lab education is just about all that's needed to change the vote of any voter without detection.

Richard

They tried electronic voting machines here in Iowa a few years back. A green party candidate for governor, requested to see the source code software for the machines, this request was denied by the manufacture, and this lead to the machines being removed from the all counties in the state. I know this is a different angle of a "intentional software bug" verses a hardware encryption integrity. But WTF are these machines doing having wireless access? I'm all fore using the internet and my personal PC to vote all issues of non-national-security. As the only reason for representative government, was the speed of a horse, when democracy started. The only way to fix government now is to do just this, as the current system has donations for elections in the form of bribes. Who do you think benefits from that? The 99%?? ignator

Reply to
ignator

I believe that's for the alien hardware remote, not something used in normal machines. There is a need for hardwire in voting applications.

Yes, we absolutely have to remove the money from the political machine. War chests are a certain cause of corruption.

-- To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves... We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our best and learn the most in the new situation. Peter McWilliams, Life 101

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry, dude, that's simply unrealistic.

"WE" can't do anything that Congress doesn't vote on. And I promise - they aren't going to do that.

Reply to
Richard