semi OT: Side armor on Sherman tanks?

is that extra panel on the front sides of Shermans additional armor? Was it a field modification after too many drivers took an 88 shell?

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Yes, it's to protect the ammo bins from spall caused by incoming fire.

Later Shermans had "wet" stowage of ammunition, so weren't as susceptible to ammo fires.

Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian Harris

thx - when I see pics of this, it just looks like a "shoot me here" kind of signal to the Germans. Kinda obvious that something that on the other side does not like fire...

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59