aluminum braze sheet

I am trying to weld some aluminum that I think is braze sheet. It is .062" thick and I think it 3003 since it bends pretty easy. It does not seem to weld very easy. Do you need to remove the braze coating with a torch first or can you just weld it up as is? I am using a Dynasty 200DX with 1/16 2% lanthanated tungsten. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
bitternut

I am trying to figure out what the hell you are talking about.

Some aluminum has an anodized coating that must be removed before WELDING or BRAZING.

3003 is a soft aluminum that is weldable.

Why would you be "brazing" aluminum with a TIG welder?

Your tungsten is fine for "welding" the aluminum. Machine settings for welding would be AC, about 60 amps.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Are you talking about the plastic protective coating ? That should be stripped off since it is non-conductive and would burn.

My experience was AL sheeting was covered to remain shinny, then cut with saws, then removal of the cover. Perhaps now it isn't a paper based, just a jell or plastic based cover.

??

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn