Any suggested aluminum settings?

Later today I will practice on some scrap before I actually do the project. I'd appreciate any suggestions on settings to try.

The project is welding a 6061 aliminum tube to the edge. of a 3/8 inch 6061 plate over about a foot length. Picture a home-made I bolt that is 1 foot long. The plate is about 4 inches wide though I don.t think that matters. I have a dynasty 200DX. I have never welded aluminum so I have scrap to practice. I have 100% argon, 2% lanthanated tungsten, and a gas lens. I do have a foot pedal. Also, what alloy rod/size would be recommended for me. I know there are at least two options ( I don't remember the alloy numbers right now ).

I hope that's everything. And suggested settings or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

Reply to
BP

3/8" plate will be the difficult bit. Plate that heavy will require a preheat for your 200DX to be able to melt it.

Throw it in the kitchen oven for an hour at 500 degF, pull it out with heavy gloves, and wrap it up in a wool blanket to keep in the heat. I would recommend beveling the edge of the plate to help a little more.

4043 or 5356 filler will both work.

4043 is a little easy to work with.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler