Unigraphics to SW2006 settings? any information

I am gettinh an automotive aasembly from UG nx3, i see that sw can import UG parts will it bring in UG assemblies? or just part.

ug can export out to step is this the best format and i am sure there are settings inside UG that can improve the export, any information of UG assemblies or the export setting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

Reply to
ryanhay

The best way from UG to SW is parasolid. I've imported UG to SW, but got better results importing the same model via parasolid.

Reply to
That70sTick

did you have to play with his output settings? do you recall was it step 214?

there are some tolerance setting that they can do on ther end.

thanks > The best way fromUGto SW is parasolid. I've importedUGto SW, but

Reply to
ryanhay

You might need to worry about which version of Parasolid is saved. UG might be ahead of SW, so that you would need to have the parts and assemblies saved in an older version.

Jerry Steiger

I said PARASOLID, not STEP.

Jerry S. has a valid point. Actually, UG has been lagging behind SW in parasolid versions, so going from UG to SW is not a problem. Going back to UG, you may need to "dial back" to an earlier parasolid version. Parasolid v10 has always has plenty of horsepower to deliver even complect surface geometry.

Reply to
That70sTick

Maybe they use licensees for extended beta.

The last UG Parasolid exports I've gotten were late in 2005. NX3, I think. SCH_1600178_16004 (Parasolid version 16)

Reply to
RugRat

It depends on what is in the UG files. I've been able to import engine assemblies by brute force from UG one part at a time, as long as the UG file isn't an assembly. Assemblies seem to not work right for some reasons I don't understand. This is tedious at best and you will wish you had another option at some point.

You can't tell if a UG file is an assy or part by looking at it or its extension so you won't know until you try.

Are the files coming from GM? In my experience with them, getting files other than UG rarely results in robust imported geometry. I typically get a mix of surfaces and solids.

Also, sometimes when you open a UG part file you get what looks like a mess on screen and the feature tree is many discrete solid bodies. You'll find that one of those is the geometry you want and the rest are bodies UG uses for model definition. (I think I remember turning off the "import UG tool bodies" option to prevent this...I'm fuzzy on that point though.

I've imported files from NX3 and you won't need to specify an older parasolid version.

email if you'd like additional info on my experience with UG files, especially if they're GM files.

MHill

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
MHill

well i have got some great results from UG the asembly was surfaced assembly i was told not a true assy this came thru in ug format came in as an assy with parts fixed

the other two did not come in no parasolid info

i told him to save it as a parasolid 10 format and again it came thru very nicely came in as an assy with parts no error or open faces imported body for each part.

innews: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
ryanhay

thanks this help me request para 10