Aluminum DC Tig

--Ernie sez I can TIG aluminum with DC; the limit being the thickness of electrode being equivalent to the thickness of the material to be joined. I want to get a little further into this: should I monkey with frequency? If so what's ideal? Pulser? Again, recommendations appreciated. Thanks,

Reply to
steamer

You have to use DC Electrode POSITIVE, for this to work. Running a fast pulse rate (200 hz) will make it flow better.

Use the biggest LANTHANATED tungsten possible.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The usual method is to use AC, usually with hi-frequency, to stabilize the arc. The AC cleans the material on one phase and welds it on the other. If you have an AC-DC box it may already have that.

Frankly I never heard of welding aluminum with DC although I'm certainly not arguing whether or not it can be done, just that AC was used everywhere I saw aluminum welded. In fact I once used a AC buzz box with a hi-frequency add on and a portable generator to weld irrigation pipe in the field.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb (jdslocombatgmail)

Reply to
J. D. Slocomb