Aluminum Question

I'm welding up a frame for an outdoor storage box out of 6061 Aluminum and

4043 filler. The frame is 1" by .125 angle. My question is that I initially tack the joints and then go back and weld. The tacks seem to be quite weak. I note that though the 6061 is strong, the 4043 filler is actually quite ductile and does not appear to be all that strong. Fortunately, it is not a structural application but I'm surprised that the joints may not appear all that strong. I'm welding the whole joint on the outside of the angle and only partial welds inside as my welding skills are not good enough to do a good job. I am learning a lot though. Anything else I should be doing?

Dynasty 200DX

125 amps 4043 filler

Thanks

Barry

Reply to
BP

Are you V-grinding your joints?

6061 is quite intolerant of being fusion welded. It needs all new metal in the weld joint or your welds will likely crack.

5356 is a stronger filler alloy.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks. I have some of that filler around so I will try it.

Barry

Reply to
BP

Your comments and Ernie's solution are exactly what I've experienced. My only deviation is that lately instead of V-grinding I just lay the pieces on a metal table and leave some space between them when I weld them. It seems to produce a strong joint. Ernie, any problem with that?

Reply to
Dan Kok

No, as long as the back side of the weld ends up acceptable.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Did as you recommended and the welds do seem much stronger.

Thanks

Barry

Reply to
BP