Miller 175

I have a friend that is selling me his Miller175 that has never been used. I am getting it at a great price and don't think I can pass it up. I am not really wired for 220 except for the dryer and my 5500 watt Generator. The Generator has a 30 amp twist socket and I think it may run it. Not sure if it will do 1/4" (gas well pipe) using flux core. We have some rough stock pens to build on sight if the welder would work using the Generator. (would it work for that, or should I let the others use the stick welder ?) For everyday welding thinner stock would I be safe using the dryer outlet or just run it off the Generator? When I get in our new property my dog house will be wired for 220 and I will be able to use it there better. I do have the 135 and like it. I don't know at this time if I will sell that one off or keep that one also.

Also it says I can use a alum spoolmate 3035, down the road would it be feasible to buy one?

Don

Reply to
Don D.

Both can supply enough power for the welder. Make up some heavy guage extension cords.

Set it up for gas for MIG hardwire for welding thinner sheet metal quickly and cleanly.

The Spoolmate is around $400 and there is another $250 converter box you have to add. Not sure if it is worth it, but they do work well and if you have to do a bunch of aluminum sheet or thinwall tube it is a great solution.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Yes, you're dryer outlet should work great if, you have at least a 40 amp breaker on that line. If you are going extension cord, make your own with actual 300 volt 100 amp line with good ends on it. Those you can pick up at most home depots or wall marts as well as suppliers for wiring houses. Just remember, the longer the line the stronger the line needed for power loss.

Reply to
Thomas

Thanks Ernie and Thomas I was thinking of leaving the 135 at the house as gas use also, and the 175 for field use brought in on my trailer with Generator. or for thicker gage at the house. He said he has a heavy ext. cord for it already. I am hoping it is at least 12 gage or better.

I see the only draw back using mig to stick it the distance from the machine. Stick you can at extensions on to the stinger and ground, and mig you have a short run. That part sucks, just keep dragging the machine along behind you.

thanks again. Don

Reply to
Don D.

FYI - Miller manual for MM175 says to use 20-amp breaker.

Reply to
Ryan