aluminum welding

This weekend I'm renting a aluminum welding unit that will connect to my ranger8 welder, what I need to know is - do I use ac current or will dc straigh/reverse polarity be better? It has been such a long time since I have welded aluminum with a 1lb spool gun so I can't remember how to set up the machine. Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Gary

Reply to
onsite welding

DC for aluminum MIG. AC for aluminum TIG.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

some have posted that using MIG dc on Al requires DCRP. is that the case ??

Reply to
Kryptoknight

DCEP... verified here:

What Polarity Setting is Needed? All MIG welding, including on aluminum materials, requires electrode positive polarity, while flux-cored processes typically use electrode negative. If you are switching your wire feed welder between processes, make sure to switch your polarity. This is a common mistake that many beginning welders make.

Reply to
Zorro