Another first !

Just did a MIG welding test for a sorta-local fabrication plant - with aluminum . Easier than I thought it would be , though I feel that 350 amps is a bit hot for welding stuff under 1/8" thick . They had 3 more guys coming in to test ... I'm glad I took my helmet/gloves/etc with me . Also took a sample of my TIG welding I ran up last night . Guy looked at it and said "I guess we'll see if you did this or somebody else." . After the test he allowed that I did indeed do the samples . Wish me luck ! -- Snag Weldor Wannabe

Reply to
Snag

Just because no one commented on your post, does not mean we did not wish you luck. What was the outcome?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I'm still self-employed ... I'm not really surprised , not many places are interested in a new hire my age . Might have to give WallyWorld a spin , they'll hire anyone that can pass a drug test . And it's the time of year they begin hiring for the holidaze .

Reply to
Snag

Did you hear back from the company? Do you know if they hired anyone or di d something come up and they have not hired anyone. I would contact the co mpany and let them know you are available. Sometimes the new hire does not work out. And sometimes it turns out that they really needed to hire more than one welder. With the new ACA, they might be interested in hiring a p art time welder which could let you still have your own welding shop.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It's a small fab shop and falls below the 50 employee threshold , I think . They had no shortage of applicants , I figger between my age and no experience MIG welding aluminum they found a "better" candidate . Part time , with the distance and type of roads - winding mountainous - would be barely a break-even for me . A nice commute on the bike in summer , but could be a real bitch in winter . That's OK though , last weekend was Beanfest , and I passed out a lot of cards to locals . A lot of bikes there , mostly Harleys and big touring machines - and there's no one close to here that works on 'em . Got an ATV coming over today some time for plugs and wires ...

Reply to
Snag

Next time you are in the vicinity during working hours, drop in and find out what happened for sure. Your guess may be right, but you do not know. Besides it always is good to remind them that you are around.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster