Arc welder to power Krypton Arc lamp ??

Does anyone here have any experience with krypton arc lamps ?? especially the power supplies ??

I'm looking for information to setup power for a pair of 8000 watt tubes (yes, thats 16kw !!)

I've been informed that in some cases an arc welder (with modifications ??) can be used to run these lamps

What I'm looking for is a current regulated power source that can delvier adjustable 20-50 amps at 190-210 VDC fom 220 single phase.

Any info appreciated !!

Reply to
John Barrett

I Googled krypton arc lamps voltage requirements and looked at this page

This site gives a lot of information but it takes more than a constant current PSU to make one of these lamps work. It looks like it takes a 30kv triggering pulse plus another 3kv starting voltage. I've also read that a common failure mode is explosion. You could ask questions on the sci.engr.lighting group.

Reply to
Doug