arc welder visor shields???

Newbie trying to decide on arc welder or brazing torch for metal sculpture. What I could use some help on is knowing how well I would be able to see through the newer autodarkening welding masks before an arc (light) is created? Since I need to see the art (pieces of metal) I am working on BEFORE the arc is created, will a newer type welding mask allow that, or will I be in the dark until the arc is struck?

Reply to
Beowulf

You'll see plenty through this auto-darkening welding hood. These regularly go on sale for $39.99, keep an eye out for a sale. This is what I use for MIG / Stick welding. Don't bother with a traditional non-auto-darkening hood, they're a pain unless you have a good light source such as a halogen shop light to illumnate the area you're working on. Some people just frown on cheap auto-dark hoods, but it's mostly personal preference. Starting out there's no need to spend $200 on a welding hood.

If you're going to get a torch, consider getting a full shade 5 face shield instead of just shade 5 goggles, will give you some face protection as you'll no doubt get some pops & sparks as you learn not to overheat your metal or filler material.

I really can't emphasize enough, that taking a class or getting some type of instruction in whatever type of welding you decide on, is a very good idea, especially if you're using OA (gas torch).

-Tom

Reply to
TT

The auto-darkening helmets are very easy to see through before they darken. You will be able position the electrode right where you want it. Good luck.

Reply to
John

Reply to
carl mciver

If I ever meet you, I'm buying you a beer(or whatever liquid you'd enjoy consuming). Damn good deal on the helmet! Thank you!

Reply to
Josh Sponenberg

position a 150w halogen lamp a foot or two from what your are welding.i can read the newspaper under this lamp with shade 11 lens on my helmet.

Reply to
Sam