Auto body

I just made two useful welding-related discoveries I should share.

The first is that a flush patch shouldn't be fitted too closely into a ground-out rust hole. The article I read suggested a gap the thickness of a dime, but I just filed the edges of my snug-fitting patch a little, and the heat expansion from tacking didn't shift it out of place like my previous efforts. In fact the welded patch didn't need filler, after grinding and sanding I just primed and painted it.

The second is that while the Harbor Freight mini orbital sander 93628 doesn?t accept most of the store's small disk sanding accessories as-is, it will if you cut a 1/4"-20 stud to connect the sander spindle to the 2" or 3" hook/loop or twist-lock sanding disk backing pad. Check the pad thread, they also have M6 and 5/16". The instructions don't mention that the included pin "wrench" locks the spindle through the sanding pad end of the large oval slot that faces the trigger. Thanks, Rick in Amherst NH.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins