Bah! Welding problems again

Welding my mustang.. (patch panels).. some, i just cut out the old metal to get inside tubes, and am putting them back, others using the same metal.. they are all being welded sideways (like, the side of the tubes), but, the problem is, it just seems to ball up, and roll away in a rolling ball of sparks.. Sort of like water or fat on a teflon pan? I don't get it.. the metal is perfectly clean (ground down).. When i tried it on a spare piece of TOTALLY rusted sheetmetal, once i got it going (had to find the only non rusted part), it made a nice bead).. at first I thought it might have been the ground, but i moved that around, plus on the test piece, the ground was on rust and primer... i'm lost on this one? thanks in advance!

Reply to
Johnny K