Batteries, batteries, batteries

My wife had a line of tealights she represented. We got a couple of hundred CR2032 batteries. I needed a battery for my NexGen, and just was lucky to look at these, and didn't have to go buy any batteries. How long will these last? Should I keep them in the fridge? Most all are over 3v. I must have about 200 years worth of batteries here. What are they worth? What would you do with them all? Would ten of them go through the mail in the little flat tray they come in sealed in an envelope, or would they set off the mail alert devices? Can batteries even be mailed?

Reply to
Steve B

Are these the cheap alkaline ones from Walgreens? If so, they are not worth much.

Ignoramus23878

"Ignoramus23878" wrote: (clip) How long will these

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ They should last a long time in the freezer. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What would you do with them all? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Hook them in series-parallel and use them to jump start the car? ;-) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Would ten of them go through the mail in the little

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think they would go through the mail unnoticed. Might have a problem if you tried to take them aboard a airplane, though.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

CR2032 (20mm dia x 32?? thickness) is a LioN battery and should have a shelf life of about ten years.

This is a common size that keeps you CPU's BIOS memory intact.

I would say that keeping them cool may extend their shelf life but freezing would damage them.

Reply to
Josepi

They come in white plastic trays. Twenty to a tray. They are at least five years old, and I'd say the tray that I'm looking at would test 18 ones over

3v. I tested a bunch the other day, and only one at 2.7. The others over 3v. I guess they're ......... okay.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Don't have a micrometer handy, but 1/8" would be close.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yes, they are twice a thick. I am not sure what units the second part of the number is in but , after just having both in my hand yesterday I know it is relevent to the thickness.

The dollar stores here have the CR2032 batteries 3 / $1

Don't have a micrometer handy, but 1/8" would be close.

Steve

Reply to
Josepi

Top posting against my better instinct:

3.2 mm is very close to 1/8"

Bob

Josepi wrote:

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Funny thing, the wife just shoved one of my cheapie CR2032 cells into a ball hat with LEDs that she bought for $1 at some rumage place. It contained two CR2016 cells and only one CR2032 would fit into it.

It worked just fine...letters scrolled across "Go Leafs, Go!"

3.2 mm is very close to 1/8"

Bob

Josepi wrote:

Reply to
Josepi

This is the same size battery used on computer motherboards to provide backup to the TOD chip/CMOS RAM (nowadays part of the southbridge chipset). These batteries on the motherboard should usually be replaced after four or five years.

I suspect that you need to check with your postmaster about sending them bulk via snail-mail; you'll note on most modern computer shipping packaging that they reference the battery.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"Scott Lurndal" wrote \

I got about 250 of these I want to flush out of here on ebay. Will just put them up as one block and take what I get, holding back one card of twenty, which should last me a few years.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B