Big propane tank

wrote:

I keep hearing about propylene for a cutting gas.
What are the pluses and minuses of it?
Cost is supposed to be cheaper than acet.
Gunner

The plus is cost. The minus is its not as hot as acetylene. Scrap yards that torch all day long use propane. I tried it, preheat takes way longer and its a bit harder to not lose your oxy-red hot heat if you feed too fast. Then you have to reheat to restart.
Long story short, my cuts weren't as clean so I switched back.
Karl
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 05:52:54 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

Thanks Karl. Based on your comments, Ill not be changing gases anytime soon. Gunner
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 05:52:54 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

In a scrapyard who cares how nice the cut is - if it saves money. In the shop, who cares how cheap it is if it looks like CRAP when you are finished
"Karl Townsend" <> wrote in message

Gotta ask, did you use the two piece tip made for propane/ natural gas? These gases will cut just as good as acetylene and far far cheaper! I've done a lot of oxy/natural gas cutting both by hand and by machine and won't consider going back to acetylene. I have a small bottle just for gas welding but tig is so much better it doesn't get used much. At a welding school back in the 80's we switched a line torch to propane and one 100 pound bottle lasted for 12 to 15 large bottles of oxygen! Here at home in my own shop I use propane for all cutting. Therefore I beg to differ from your experience.... phil

So, besides cost, is there anything that makes propane better? Can it be used for heating, like with a rosebud torch? Any safety difference?

The guys who specialize in salvaging old truck bodies and shipping containers almost universally use oxy/propane instead of oxy/acetylene to do their cutting.
I don't know the equivalent energies of the two fuels, but I can attest from first-hand experience that the oxy/propane torch cuts steel (and melts aluminum) pretty damned effectively.
LLoyd
"Ignoramus24975" <> wrote in message:-> On 2010-06-17, Phil Kangas <> wrote:

Yes, in fact I have a large weed burner head that doesn't use oxygen and it is HOT! Burns a lot of gas but far cheaper than O/A. Where I used to work we had many large heating torches and everything used oxy/natural gas, even the large CNC cutting table cutting inches thick steel plate. So yes, you can fire up a decent oxy/propane rosebud. If you're using a rosebud with O/A you better have a large enough bottle to avoid drawing off the gas faster than it can feed. Propane will just freeze up on ya with a heavy draw. YMMV phil
For one - no Has-mat or FBI wondering security on the Acetylene. Propane is a universal gas used in barbecues and trailer homes heat/cook. That is what my brother found out - background check with the sheriff.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 6/17/2010 5:46 PM, Ignoramus24975 wrote:

Are you saying that they place people who buy Acetylene, on some kind of watchlist???
Acetylene is one of the gasses that is watched. It is a powerful gas. Used in terror bombs in the past.
Transporting it is a large part. Just moving it around - one must let it settle and get under control in the bottle.
I fill 6 propane bottles at a time without a second look or thought. (Oh - I put the small bottles into old plastic milk crates. Easy to transport.
If you went out and filled 3 tall bottles of Acetylene - there might be questions.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 6/17/2010 10:16 PM, Ignoramus24975 wrote:

I agree with Phil. One of the other benefits is when you run out of propane after hours, all you have to do is steal the tank off the gas grill. With acetylene you have to wait until the welding shop is open.

My experience exactly, but to add, I fried three tips, and that's something I never did with acet. Maybe had to file one and redrill it or clean it out, but man, those propane suckers flat out melt. And fast, too. And they are spendy. Lots of old Victor acet tips laying around still. Preheating takes forever, and really heats the tips up.
Steve

Yes, I will pass on oxypropane. Maybe I will use the tank to make a bigger forge or foundry or something.
My grill is natural gas (it rules).

There's lots of good uses for propane. I like it for weed burning. It's just not my favorite for cutting metal, although I did give it a good trial. Enough to go back to acet.
Steve
I have plasma - love Hyperthem Hypermax products. Their fine cut and complete physics design backing everything - (I know tech support) - more PHD's working on nozzles and heat...
I use it on a CNC plasma table - and have a 50' 'hose' a T60 torch - Drag it outside to work on a trailer sheet of steel or back inside anywhere. I have a small 600 - wish I had a 900. I do 1/2" AR400 with mine.
Just finished some pinky nail size parts with details - pellet targets. By hand, I have burned both steel and bronze but copper and stainless.
Haven't tried it on a Railroad rail yet - there are two sections to thick. Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 6/16/2010 10:05 PM, SteveB wrote:

I've had a chance to use an Allstates oxy/propane torch for cutting. It was easier for me that oxy/acet.
http://www.allstatesdist.com/Propane_Torch.html
http://www.allstatesdist.com/Torch_Demonstrations.html (Bottom video for cutting demonstration)
Todd

Some guys will swear by a SawZall. It's just whatever YOU like, and whatever is right for that job. If a guy had twelve different ways to cut available to him, a sensible metal worker would choose the optimal method for each case. One size does not fit all, and each cutting job would come out better by the use of one cutting method over the other.
Steve
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:02:41 -0700
<snip>

I pick the one that is easiest to get to most of the time :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Nah, I'll walk right past the hacksaw and the cold chisel to get to the h/v bandsaw or minigrinder just about every time. I use cut-off disks so much in the grinder I can't remember the last time I had a regular grinding wheel on it... --Glenn Lyford