Books or Videos on Fabrication Techniques/Practices

Welding is great and I love it. But, it isn't much use without having something to put together. I've learned some different things about putting stuff together at welding school, but am looking for more knowledge.

Are there any books or videos out there showing common techniques and time-saving methods for building stuff? Examples I can think of are how to keep things square, strong joint designs, jiggs, etc.

I know that I will learn by experience, but I want to minimize the pain I have to go through if possible. I'm currently looking for a welding/fabrication job where I can learn these things, but figure I'll have a better shot if I go in knowing something about something instead of being a blank slate.

Someday I would like to have my own business making and installing things (e.g. fences, gates, railings, sculptures) that would combine blacksmithing, metalworking, and welding. Anything that could help me toward that goal is appreciated.

Thanks,

rvb

P.S. I'm sorry my posts are so darn long. I just have lots of questions and like to put a context to them.

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

Would this be better posted somewhere else?

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

When I first got started, I got every book I could get my hands on. Studied them hard. Looking back, the only thing that really helps you is experience. The books will be good as reference material, but that's about it.

Get busy building stuff!

Reply to
johnnytorch

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...

OK! Thanks for the reply at least. :)

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...

there are couple of handy projects on this site for prospective fabricators

your email as-is as I have some pdf's floating about you might have use for. Derek Land Rover +ve

Reply to
Derek

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...

Yes. My email is accurate. I live dangerously. ;)

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)