brass welding ?

"George Watson" wrote: Does anyone know if i could use flux coated brazing rods in my arc welder just like steel electrodes? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You can do it, but it WON'T work. The flux on arc welding rods is formulated to produce a shielding effect, as well as helping the molten metal flow. Its melting temperature is adjusted to match the arc temerature.

The flux coating in silver solder or braze rod is designed to melt at a lower temperature, without vaporizing. It's hard to picture the mess you would get if you subjected brass and flux to arc temperatures.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Does anyone know if i could use flux coated brazing rods in my arc welder just like steel electrodes?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas

George

Reply to
George Watson

I've successfully used a phos-bronze TIG rod with my TIG welder to repair brass parts in the past. You should be able to get that rod at the local welding supply store, if you have access to a TIG machine.

My .02

Thanks, jw

James Walsh Jr.