Built a circle cutter

I have been toying for a while with building a circle cutter to mount on the same burning table I have my old Airco Cam-o-graph pattern cutter mounted to.

Well it all suddenly fell together. Kind of like my positioner project last winter. A confluence of stuff with a few added bits.

The challenge is to rotate a cutting torch at variable speed over a burning table. The entire unit also has to swing out of the way of the pattern cutter.

I had a variable speed gear motor and controller from an old L-Tec wire feeder. I used a 5/8" lovejoy coupling to attach that to a worm gear box that has a 7/8" output shaft. Because the input shaft on the gear box is a bit bent, I mounted the motor in a rubber soft mount, so it can wiggle. The lovejoy coupling makes it run smooth despite the bent shaft.

I have it mounted so the output shaft points down. I used a rigid shaft coupler to attach a 7/8"D x 36" bar to the output shaft. I already had a machine torch with a fancy mount and a rack and pinion gear for adjustment. All I had to do was make a mount for the rack bar to go horizontal from the lower end of the 7/8" bar.

You can see a video of it at the dropbox

So I can cut up to 40 inches in diameter in up to 6 inch plate steel. What I really like is that I can cut concentric rings in the same plate to make pipe flanges.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

(...)

Extremely cool!

With a synchronous radial drive, you could make huge gears.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Not bad Ernie - looks like a gas well T on a circle cutter :-)

Likely make a MIG welder for circles as well - A bit limited.

Snicker - I draw a circle of size and plasma cut it via Cad/Cam

Now for you - how about doing a MOON - for the cow to fly over - Two circles offset... one is an arc cutting the first circle apart. Crescent Moon.

Mart> I have been toying for a while with building a circle cutter to mount

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

CNC is fine, but I am really enjoying my old Airco pattern cutter and now the circle cutter. They cost next to nothing and they don't care about dust.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler