Buttering vs. Digging

In my downloaded Lincoln DC welder manual, they refer to the welding current controls in terms I am not sure of. They say when you want a "buttering" arc, to set the main current step dial, then use the fine current at the lower settings. It says 6010 is what you want a "buttering" arc for.

Then it says if you want a "digging" arc to do the opposite, to set the main current lower, then adjust the fine current to the upper settings on its dial.

I have not heard of these terms before. The 6010 was specifically cited in the paragraph on buttering, but no rod was mentioned in the "digging" paragraph. Would the "digging" setting be for 7018 or heavy iron powder coating rods?

I have welded for a long time, but have lost information on my grey matter hard drive here and there along the way. I'm having to relearn some of this. And then, anything you don't do for a while, you get rusty.

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Butter weld - A weld caused of one or more string or weave beads laid down on an unbroken surface to obtain desired properties or dimensions. Useful when building up a surface rather than requiring deep penetration, as in "hard surfacing".

Dig - Also called Arc Control. Gives a power source variable additional amperage during low voltage (short arc length) conditions while welding. Helps avoid ?sticking? Stick electrodes when a short arc length is used. Also assists when starting low hydrogen rods, like 7018.

Cheers.

Reply to
toolman946 via CraftKB.com

What is the URL of the manual you downloaded?

Your questions raise the issue of semantics as these terms are often used in contradiction to expected usage and are also subject to varied definition and usage. Here is some information you may find helpful, note that I make no claim to be an electrical engineer.

Google 'drooping volt amp curve'

Google groups news: snipped-for-privacy@pca208c1.cfa.cmu.edu...

CC welding generators have a drooping volt amp curve. This means that the voltage will vary between >60 volts OCV (open circuit volts) when not welding, ~ 40 volts when welding and

Reply to
Private