Can 98% argon, 2% O2 be used in TIG welding

And it is a user-owner tank with the thick collar welded on top of the tank.

Mart> >> "Ignoramus31295" wrote

Martin H. Eastburn

MIG on stainless is a tricky proposition. Because SS is a worse conductor than steel the wire can't carry as much current, so you have to increase your voltage. C25 will work as a shielding gas but you will get a heavy layer of oxides of nickel and chromium.

98/2 is better. The increased heat yields a cleaner weld.

The best I have used is an Argon/CO2/Helium tri-mix.

The only thing I have found that will completely remove the SS MIG oxides is UTP's weld pickle past.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I guess it's time for me to learn how to do god mig SS then. ERS

Reply to
etpm

Stick seems to do better SS than mig.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Talk to the guys at 4 Guys Fire Equipment about welding stainless. They build complete fire engines out of stainless.

Reply to
Steve W.

We use a mixture of 98% argon 2% hydrogen. We,ve done quite a bit of experimentation on shielding gases. This one has definately proved succesful. For the type of work we do argon is pure argon is one of the worst. contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
service