can i weld the mig welder itself?

On my cheapo sip migmate the captive nut in the casing for holding the lid on has come loose - I would weld it back on, but is it ok to weld the case of the welder using the welder itself or would I damage it? (I'm thinking that the mig case is earthed, so running the electrically isolated dc welding current across it would be fine, but would like to check before I fry it!).

rgds, g.

Reply to
graham

Tom Kendrick

Rivnut maybee?

Reply to
Balders

Reply to
Potblak

On my Lincoln MIG welder, I was replacing the wire when a loop from the spool fall behind the reel and I also accidently hit the weld trigger-- the wire welded itself to the reel nut.

It only happened for a second. The welder seems to be fine. Now I'm a lot more careful when replacing wire spools- I shut off the welder.

So, I would imagine that welding to itself works but I wouldn't trust frying something.

Steve L.

Reply to
lavinsky