choosing a welder

I'm a college student in Atlanta, and I've managed to get a $200 gift for a welder. While I could probably add some to this and spend as much as $400-$500 I would really like to keep the costs down as much as possible. All I am really wanting to weld is small stuff like computer cases and automotive body panels. I have been looking at several migs, but am not sure. While I realize my price-range is nowhere near tig level, I would really like a mig that is gas capable. I was just curious if anybody had any input on a good semi-entry level model. I am not at all opposed to used equiptment or even buying stuff off ebay, I just don't know what to get.

In my searches, I have come across this one. It's normally $400, but it's on sale right now for $200.

Thanks, Daniel

Reply to
whiteagle

I have this same welder and am happy with it. It certainly isn't a production welder but for occasional hobby use it has suited me nicely.

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

The gas capable welders can run hard (solid) wire, and should give you better performance on thin materials like auto body and computer cases.

Reply to
Rich Jones