combination welding table and cart?

I want to build a cart for my little MIG welder. All of the examples I have seen have the shelf for the welder up top and a shelf for accessories below. Is there any reason that you can't design the cart so the welder goes on the bottom shelf and a welding table above it so you can use it for both purposes? I suppose that you may want a shelf of some type over the welder to make sure that you don't get splatter on it. Thanks for any ideas.

John Broadway

Reply to
johnbroadway

I'm just a hobbyist, but I wouldn't want my welder under the table. Its fan will suck in enough grit as it is. Grinding is the worst offender for generating grit. Also, if you have room, a larger table is nice. If you don't, the recent suggestion about strong sawhorses and a piece of plate makes sense.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

"Pete Keillor" wrote: (clip) Its fan will suck in enough grit as it is. Grinding is the worst offender for generating grit.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Still, I think there is some merit to the idea. We're talking about a small welding card, and I can see real advantages for someone who has to move around a lot and do small welds. Having the welder down low on a handtruck type setup would lower the center of gravity, making it easy to move, even on stairs. Having a flat top surface to hold tools, or to clamp the work would be extremely handy for someone like a maintenance person or handyman. I agree that having grinding dross go into the machine would be bad. I think this could be overcome, or avoided.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I don't see why a canvas or some kind of curtain couldn't surround the welder, but not quite all the way down to inhibit cooling. You could secure it up somehow when you're welding and drop it when grinding if that's easier for you. How often do you look at the welder when you're working anyway?

Reply to
carl mciver

"carl mciver" wrote: I don't see why a canvas or some kind of curtain couldn't surround the welder, (clip) How often do you look at the welder when you're working anyway? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Heel of hand applied to forehead with resounding thump. Most of us turn the welder off when we're not actually welding, so the fan stops.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have built a table/cart like you want. Works great. Mine carries both a MIG and TIG. Nice to have the table where the welder is. Real nice when your doing things that don't move easily.

Reply to
Steve W.

Ive done it for over a year on one of the welders...

Gunner

Gunner