SW 175 Pro on a Generator

Hi all, I need to weld on my trailer. It is too far for the welder to reach it attached to the wall outlet. I have a 5000 watt 120/240 generator. If I do not run the welder at full bore the generator should power it. The question is will it mind the quality of power coming from the generator?

Michelle

Reply to
Michelle P

I have a MM175 and tried to run it off a 4000 watt Generac and it welded for about 2 seconds. Have been told that 6500 watts and above is needed.

Reply to
Jess

Could you reach the trailer if you made an extension cord? That would be nicer than using a generator. If you do use the generator I think it'll be OK, but see Al Babin's post on RCM about what can happen if you get advice on Usenet. :-) If it's any comfort, here's a list of some experience with welding equipment powered by generators.

Century 145 MIG, Lincoln 255 MIG (electronic controls), Lincoln SW175 stick TIG (model prior to yours), Powermax 600 plasma cutter (inverter). No smoke and full capacity for all on a Hobart 8kW welder generator, which like smaller units, is high on voltage and frequency when unloaded. I've also run one of those Lincoln 115V MIGs off both a cheapie Coleman 2500W generator and a Honda EU2000. Again no smoke, but the welder had somewhat reduced capacity on both generators.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Reply to
Michelle P

I haven't tried your combination but I do run a 120 volt Mig (flux wire) and a 240 volt 225 amp AIRCO buzzbox off of a 4 kw generator. Results are just OK, not great. Not sure what is going on but it acts like the welder load is dropping the input voltage quite a bit, arc stability is dicey. It get the job done but I really need to upgrade.

C> Hi all,

Reply to
RoyJ