concertina wire attachment.

I picked up about 15,000' of razor wire for the new fence top to keep the Chicago two legged critters off the fence at the new shop and I decided to tinker with a way to mount it. I "assumed" it was/is a form of stainless and I put it to 1/4" S.S. standoffs bolted onto the posts and tacked it with

316L rod and they snap easily. I don't have any info on the wire (Except my blood type now- I got it at surplus sans any documentation.) Have any of you worked on this or have any ideas? I don't want to wire-tie it with safety wire, but I don't want to turn it into a big "to-do" Mr. Magnet won't pick it up so that's answered. This stuff is really shiny, not like the stuff we used in the service so I don't know what the deal is. It's mega-sharp and has crescent type blades and the ribbon is .032 x .250 it came on wooden spools without any labeling each weighs about 200 lbs. If you can break in the new shop, you earned it, I want this place to be mega secure. Also, any idea on a good fence build. I'm making it myself from wrought iron 10' high and 3' buried in the pavement I never built a fence before but I'm not sure how to top it off. Not like you can go near the local joint and take a picture of the fence without being tossed inside.

Anyone ever built a prison?

Thanks as usual!

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Nope, Just "wild-coil" it, hard mount it and leave it be. Nothing fancy or farm style.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

If/when the local two legged critters hurt themselves on it you'll be sued for a lot more than they might have stolen. Sad but true, a litigeous society (or however that is spelled). You'll need warning signs at least and you should probably make sure it is well lit, so they can at least see it before they get cut on it (-:

Reply to
2regburgess

maybe a piece of tension wire the length of the run might be the way to handle that stuff

you planning on electrifying it??

Reply to
dogalone

Depending on your zoning bylaws you might even be prevented from putting up regular barbed wire. When working inside a pen. I got to look at the stuff from about fifty feet away. It is not really secure so that it entangles and snares the person.... Nasty stuff! Funny thing though... Cats regularly made the trip up the chainlink fence , through the stuff and down, over two rows of fencinge twice a day like clock work... They would set off the motion sensors and were monitored by camera. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

(snip)

I got tangled in it once when I was in the marine corps, night infiltration practice or something of the sort.. Mean stuff, you get on one of the hooks and it catches, you try to back off it and the opposing hook catches.. tore my clothes, poked my fingers, the stuff will really slow you down.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Rob, You don't actually want to weld to the ribbon wire. Assuming you are placing on top of a metal topped wall its pretty simple to install. Get a few boxes of U nails or heavy wire staples. Stretch your wire about a foot, clamp temporarily to hold it. Place a wire staple over the strand and tack weld it in place. Then move on to the next point. This leaves your wire loops more mobile and less predictable.

Wiz

Reply to
Wiz

How about some hog rings? They should be faster to install than any other thing I can think of.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

"RDF" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Google is your friend. install razor wire

Please consider leaving Illiniosistan and Chicagograd.

Your business only supports organized crime, also known as the city government.

Reply to
Dev Null

I think in this case it's sort of evident that it's not a smart idea to crawl over it. My employer (a very large company with plenty of lawyers!) put this stuff around the gates to stop their own employees who forgot their badges and try to climb over the turnstile structure. Sad, actually, but when you look at how paranoid the whole company is about getting sued, yet they still chose to put this stuff up, there has to be some common sense in the system somewhere.

Reply to
carl mciver

That stuff scares the heck out of me. I've gotten tangled up in barbed wire which was enough hell to get free (a lot harder than the movies make it out to be!) so if I were to work around it, I'd have the toughest welding leathers on!

Reply to
carl mciver

Remind me not to piss you off....

Rob

Reply to
RDF

--If you don't have a dog there's a simple solution in the form of plywood with big-ass nails sticking out of it. Make it look like you're doing some "home improvements" and leave a gap in the wire; put the plywood there. Nothing like a "honey trap" or is that homey trap, heh.

Reply to
steamer

Take a dump on the nails.

The gift that keeps on giving.