Opinion Requested

Hi Guys,

I came across an auction for a tig welder. I am requesting opinions to help determine whether it's worth the money they are asking. It is close enough for me to pick up and not need shipping.

Thanks for the help.

Joe...

Reply to
JB

It looks like a real clean machine. And it looks like it has all the accessories (assuming they are in working condition). I have a comparable Hobart CyberTig of the same vintage that I really enjoy using. Despite the 98amps on the nameplate, I run mine off a 50amp circuit without difficulty.

If he will guarantee the working condition, the price is reasonable. Otherwise, replacement components can easily add a few hundred dollars to the base price. If you can inspect the machine, look at the high frequency capacitors to verify they aren't leaking. They are unique, Miller wants $97 each, there are two of them.

If any of the circuitry has failed, it can be a challenge to diagnose and find replacement parts. You might ask if there is a schematic inside the machine, it is very difficult to diagnose a failed welder without it. Otherwise, an old welder is a gamble (but an enjoyable gamble if you are into them). Good luck.

Reply to
John