cutting / drilling oil , what is it ???

Hi,

what is cutting /drilling lubricant or oil made out of? I assume it is water based when I was a student 15 + years I worked as a helper in a factory for some spending money, and they used to mix 55 gallon of "something" with water , which turned into a smelly - milky looking fluid.

what is that base oil ??? thanks folks.

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Do a "Google" search on Soluble Cutting Fluids. Simple solubles are a mineral oil base, an emulsifier package, and various additives for anti-rust, foam control, machining enhancement, etc. There are synthetics, as well.

Dilutions run, typically, 10:1 up to 50:1 depending on the material and application

Reply to
Jack Idler

There are also lots of uses for straight oils, such as kerosene (used with aluminum and glass, among others) lard/lanolin (assorted materials) and sulfured oils, used for low speed work with steels and other materials. Straight water is also used, (for grinding flood, synthetic materials, etc) as well as oil free soluble mixes, such as kool mist.

The milky stuff is, a Jack said, usually a soluble oil, but not always. Many of the soluble oils are REALLY irritating to the skin, though most are nominally not too toxic, and some are now avaiable that don't stink or grow crud.

thanks guys,

which one of these lubricants/oils are the easiest to get non- commercially and least expensive.... for say , drilling heavy gauge metal 1/4- 1/2 " with a large 1-1/2 " drill or bi-metal hole saw with a drillpress. I am talking about multiple holes.

thanks

Reply to
acrobat-ants