cutting mig welds

I have a bunch of frames that was free just for the taking, that need to be separated so I can salvage the square tubing. These frames came from our local ATV and motor cycle dealership. The ATV's come created in a steel tube frame that consists of a lot of 2 X 2 X 1/8 that are mig welded together in layers. I salvaged the tops by using a 1/8 cutting wheel for my 4 1/4 grinder, but the bottoms are going to be a pain trying to take the jigsaw puzzle apart. I been cutting along side of the welds on the top part. I will have to cut through the welds on the bottom parts to separate each layer. There are 4 1/8 flat plates welded to the frame that were for the wheels to sit on.... Verry time consuming this way. I was wondering if a weld cutting tip on my gas welder would work or would the tubing be to thin for that and melt the tubing. If it would work I would go out and buy one tomorrow. I have 1/8 cutting wheels and 1/4 grinding wheel stones.. I have had good luck with the 1/8 cutting wheels but it is time consuming. Is that the best way trying to save as much as I can?

After that is all cut up I can make some work stations. for steel and wood working.

Reply to
Don D

A #1 tip for your cutting torch will work. It will be a bit messy, but should work fine.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I disagree Ernie. Putting a torch to the side of tubing to take the weld out will 'heat shrink" the tubing or warp it rendering it garbage. I suggest using a thinner blade on your grinder...... One called a 'Zipcut'...... it is used primarily for cutting. The blade is so thin you can't grind with it but will slice through those mig welds like butter and minumize heat warpage

Hope that was of some help....Jim Morris. Morris Welding & Holdings Ltd..

Reply to
Jim

Thank you Ernie and also Jim I will try the "Zipcut" If I can find one. Zipcut sounds like a rotozip setup. I will See if you local welding shop has any Zipcut blades. I am trying to save as much as I can in stock.... The price of steel... I would like to recycle the welds also,,, Sorry I am not that tight.

Ernie I would try your idea if it was not so messy and wanting to save as much of the stock. I can save them in 7 ft lengths. If I used the torch, I would only get two ft lengths.

I do like hearing your ideas.

I am going to take welding classes at our college this fall and start right at the beginning with O/A, then work as far as money will allow before my wife gets it out of me. Just tell her I am doing it for her..... Man, I hope she buys that one... Thanks again Don

Reply to
Don D

Would a plasma cutter or air carbon arc work?

When I had the Miller Thunderbolt I used to use a carbon gouging rod and an air hose to blow out bad welds or groove steel. I was too cheap to pay the $300 for the cable with the air hose in it so I just held the air nozzle in one hand and the stick in the other. It worked OK. I've since purchased a TIG welder which I do not use the carbon rods on. Ernie said it would ruin the TIG welder if I went over 150 amps. I didn't want to take the chance. I'm now sorry I got rid of the Thunderbolt -- it was a nice welder.

I also have a PacMaster 50 plasma cutter. It also does a good job blowing out welds.

Since both of these blow a stream of air on the gouge it keeps the base metal cooler. I don't know if it's cool enough to prevent distortion; however. They are both fun to work with. It makes a nice display at night. Don't have anybody downwind and have a hose ready even if you think there are no flammables out there to catch fire. It wasn't a big fire, but I was glad to have the hose available.

I'm just an amateur welder. If it were me, I would just keep the base pieces welded together and call it stronger tubing :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Don,

The above advice for cut off wheels sounds the best although I am not familiar with the "Zipcut" name. We use a brand called Speedecut, but that is just a brand name. You should probably just ask for cut off wheels, I know the Spedecuts are fairly expensive, about $1.50US apiece, you can probably find a store brand cheaper.

Best of luck, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts