"Drag Rod" ??

I have read of something called "Drag Rod" an electrode for those who need to weld, but don't know how to make a decent weld.

What is it? Does it have a AWS type number?


Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Drag rod just means the flux burns back slower than the filler wire so there is always a crown of flux to keep the steel wire from actually touching the base metal. Many rods today demonstrate this feature.

6013, 7014, and 7024 are a few.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

E7024 flat and horizontal. Sometimes known as a "Jet Rod". You can go to sleep with welding with this one.

Reply to
Paul Wilson

I think most guys mean 7014 when referring to either "farmer's rod" or "drag rod". 7014 is really easy rod to run in the horizontal position, and gives acceptable weld strengths. I used it for years exclusively until I learned to weld better. Now I mainly use 6010 or 7018 rod. On steel, of course.


Reply to
Grant Erwin

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.