Duty cycle intruding?

Peter Grey wrote:.(clip) I realize that in order to read the damn thing I'm going to have to jack up the car to get the ruler far enough away so that I can focus on it. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ I've been there too. You need to tilt your head back to engage the bifocal element, but the ground behind your head won't let you. You can buy special double-bifocal glasses, with an extra element at the top of the lenses, so you can get close focus while looking up. They are intended for middle-aged meter readers and librarians, but they also work very well for people like us who work in cramped spaces.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Make sure your 110v power source can deliver at least 20 amps with very little voltage drop. I've had a lot of trouble in the past welding with

110v MIGs on a poor power source. Many times in a factory, the breaker panel will be 300 feet away from the outlet, causing a considerable voltage drop. Turning up the voltage on the welder to compensate only seems to make the problem worse. Check your wire size and length to the breaker. 12ga is usually sufficient up to 50' or so. Try an outlet closer to the breaker panel and see if that helps.

highrider

Reply to
highrider71

It is a principle of Physics/the Universe/the World as we know it that a charge(d object) moving in a magnetic field will experience a "sideways" propulsion.

I am not an expert in this field, magnetic, electrical or intellectual. Anyway...

You can kind-of imagine the field lines looping around from the North pole to the South pole of the magnet. Is it true that if there is a magnetic medium in vicinity the field will preferentially pass through the magnetic medium? - but there is some "leakage"(?). Would I be right in thinking that if you keep the magnets away from where you are welding there is a good chance that you won't be trying to weld in their magnetic field and therefore won't get "arc-blow"?

Richard Smith

Peter Grey wrote:

Reply to
Richard Smith

I understand your concern or thought. However, the magnetic field of the current in the cables of the welder is much much higher than that of the earth near the welder.

A test: take a cheaply compass - lay it on the ground next to one of the cables. Have the cable not run north and south!

Check out how strong the pointer is to the earth field. Then have someone or yourself strike an arc. The arrow should smack in a hard way to align to the current in the wire.

While in school, we had an thyratron RF Spot welder. A small lab type. THe bare hair fine wire cables about 1" in diameter but typically flat - would jump and short together if not tied down. These heavy copper wires would dance and flail about. They do that since they have opposite currents flowing in themselves.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn