Re: Gas Lens & tungsten stickout

I used some 14 or 15, don't recall exactly, on the 30" .375 wall stainless I did on a Cawelo Water Storage job. Of course, I cranked up the volume on the
argon. Turned out pretty nice. Here is a link that you can see some of them. http://home.bak.rr.com/pcwelding/files/
--
"Pay peanuts.....expect monkeys."

"AMW" <amwi@@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

that
200

hear
Hey John:
I was not keeping track of the consumables as I don't have to buy them. And the argon, I removed the nut on the underside and with an allen wrench and cranked that as far as I could, then opened the valve at the guage wide open. You could literally hear it whistling through the cup. I had to turn it back down a little as I was getting ice on the guage. As far as the argon, I think I used in the neighborhood of 1 per weld. Up to the cap, I used pretty much a normal setting, but the cap, I opened it up. I was using 1/8" for bead and went straight to 5/32" filler for the remainder. I use a Weldcraft 17v as well. I recently purchased one with a flexhead with hose and 50' argon hose for $40.00 on ebay and I like that for harder to get areas where you may need a slightly different angle. There is alot I would like to learn and do with it, but I don't have much chance anymore as I don't work out of town much anymore and at the river there just isn't much tigging to do.
So what's shaking in your part of the world? Keeping out of trouble? Yeh, right, you're a welder, right.......haha
Keep yur stinger tight and yur rods hot. TTYL
-- "Pay peanuts.....expect monkeys."

And
I've been at a powerhouse expansion off and on this year and some of those cats were using oxygen regulators and running 100psi of argon, you can't read the guages due to the ice, and the outside of the hose frosts over. They were going thru those big shiney argons, two welders per tank, in half a day.
Up to the cap, I

using
Do you think the flex head would work for standard pipe welds? Or would it move around as you walk? I'd like to get a flex head but I'm wondering if it might have too much give.
There is alot I would

The summer was a little slow but things are picking up pretty good now. One big job we had was put off about 8 weeks due to a good rainey season this year but we are starting it around Tuesday. I've had quite a bit of stainless lately. I hear they are going to drill 10,000 new wells in the next year in the four corners area, I assume the activity level is way up in your area?
JTMcC.

it
IMO, torch cup walking works better with a flexi head. I'm NOT an expert, but one of the guys at work who is good at this kind of thing, keeps a few flexi heads spare in his toolbox, just in case the torch doesnt have one.
It can move around, but usually not past the point where it doesn't return to the original set position.

it
I think it would work fine John, it depends on the amount of pressure you exert on your cup while walking. You only need enough pressure to keep your cup on the pipe, you don't need alot of pressure to do that.

One
in
Yes, things are picking up. ChevronTexaco has a $60 million budget this year and the small bunch is right in there to get most of it.
Getting ready to start on more SpliTigators for the steam side real soon. That will carry me over till end of the year. Always have little things to do in between major jobs. Am looking to get into more tig work and less oilfield work.
Had to lay off for 4 days earlier in Oct. had a stent put in artery next to my heart. Doctor made me promise to lay off a few days before going back to work. So I think I will get out and do odd jobs and things around town that doesn't require me to work 8-10 hour days anymore. Buying a MaxStar 200 DX and will attempt to limit my jobs to using just that as a welding source. I don't want to do oilfields, pipelines, etc anymore. Want to start going and doing things again. You know the story, too busy making a living for the family to enjoy things.
Take care TTYL
jess