E7018 vs ER70S3 welds

Let's say that you have two welds connecting identical materials. Both are well done and produced by qualified weldors, with proper settings, etc.

Would there be a material difference in strangth or ductility or performance, between welds done with E7018 (stick) or ER70S3 (MIG).

Ignoramus10660

Ignoramus10660 on Sat, 05 Apr

2014 17:28:58 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

There should not be any difference, all things being equal.

But that's the thing - can you be sure all the things are equal?

pyotr filipivich

Iggy's question is interesting - certainly to me - and I would like to know practical experienced knowledge / insight on this.

7018 welds are very strong and tough - often get general bending of the metal around the weld in overstress - protecting the weld. Even when ground-at a lot, reasonable penetration can leave hidden bits of weld remaining, so it can be very hard to break off "temporary attachments" someone has seen fit to do with a 7018 (where 6013 temporary attachment would serve well but is easily removed).

Please - I am also interested in Iggy's question - relatively, how does good ER70 rate alongside 7018?

Rich Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Yep, 7018 s very ductile and can bend a lot before breaking. This is why I use it for those "anvil tables" and such.

Ignoramus30810

For what?? is my response.

It seems, according to the textbook, that the two are pretty much equivalent - they both give a joint with 70,000psi tensile strength. One difference to E7018 is that it can be used with AC, while the ER70s3 is recommended for DC+. Your Mileage will vary, I'm not a welder, nor did I stay at a Hotel 6. But I did just finish a class on the subject, "and I've read a book".

pyotr filipivich

Should be no difference. I myself use ER70S6, has a little more de-oxidizers in it, I do a lot of repair and the base metal is not always perfectly clean.

If you follow the AWS, pulsed MIG is now becoming the preferred choice for structural welds. Tends not to crack as fast in earthquakes.

I dropped my AWS membership but still get a ton of free trade magazines.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

The difference would have little to do with the weld filler material, and more to do with the weld procedure. If preheat and overall weld heat are the same, the welds should nearly identical.

ER70S-3 isn't used for general steel welding. It is used for only new clean steel. ER70S-6. ER70S-6 has more deoxidizers and is better for general welding, and is closer to 7018 in it's cleaning ability.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie,

GOOD to see you. Thought you were long gone from RCM.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

It is crossposted to SEJW.

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Yeah, what he said.

I haven't been on RCM for 6 or 7 years. Just too crazy.

SEJW is pretty quiet most of the time, but there is very little silliness.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
7018 welding rods are serious rods....used for code work on high rises and high-pressure piping and other critical work. 7018 rods are stronger and have less spatter. If you're looking where to get your materials, I'll provide the link below and call them to give you a refund discount like up to 10% on your certain purchases.

Interested getting stick rods :

Mark Pettinato

Jim Wilkins

You're an idiot . Check the date on Iggy's post .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Q tipo de alambre es parecido al e7018

Reply to