Easiest electrodes for training?

I wanted to buy some electrodes today to do some easy steel
welding. Any suggestions for elecrodes that are easiest to work with?
Ignoramus10467
For years I only used 7014 in the horizontal position. It's a drag rod, no need to weave the arc. I think it's the easiest to use. However, now that I routinely use 7018, today it seems just as easy. Lot of guys swear by 6013, though. - GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
You'll find that most will recommend 6013 and 7014 to begin with. Personally I found the heavy flux coat difficult for me when I started welding. I prefer 6011 and 7018 myself. Both have low enough flux that you can easily see the puddle and know what it's doing.
And for those that will state "but you have to have a rod oven for 7018" my answer is this. Yes a rod oven is needed if you need the full low hydrogen capability of the rod. However if a mild steel electrode will do the job then none ovened 7018 will do it as well and probably better.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX
Wayne Cook
I would not recommend 7018. The flux does a great job of shielding the arc because the rod burns back inside the flux. So when you stop and then restart the arc, you have to break off the flux at the end of the rod in order to strike the metal of the rod. Not a big deal if you mostly start an arc and use up the whole rod. PITA if you are making a bunch of short welds or having difficulty in learning to strike an arc.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
Get some 6013 for new work, 6011 for repair work or dirty steel. 3/32" rod for 1/8" stock and smaller, 1/8" rod for most project work. 5/32" for heavy work (1/4" plate and up) I'd get 10# of 6013 and master that on some scrap plate, then work you way through the others.
Ignoramus10467 wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Definitely if you want to just weld choose E 6013. If you were taking formalised instruction I would start you on E 6011 or E 6010. Cellulose rods are the doorway to enlightenment :') Randy
I wanted to buy some electrodes today to do some easy steel welding. Any suggestions for elecrodes that are easiest to work with?
R. Zimmerman
I got some 7018 and 6013, I think. Thanks to all!
Ignoramus10467
As a welding teacher I prefer 6011 as a training rod. Learning to run 6011 with proper technique makes all other rods much easier. It also is much cheaper than most other rods.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler