Steel to aluminum welding

I saw a little bit in a Mazda ad, and thought it was interesting, which led me to this:

Bob

Reply to
bobbym

It's still a rare process, but friction welding of steel and aluminium has been around for some years.

Aluminium isn't difficult to weld, it's just that tricky surface layer. Friction welding goes right through it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The process is known as "friction stir" welding. Do a google search on that name and you will leanr a lot about it.

It has gotten very big in the aluminum fab industry.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Every modern Navy ship since the '70s has been built with a steel hull and aluminum superstructure. They are joined with square strips of bimetal which has been explosion welded together. They seem to work fine. Save a whole lot of weight. Bet they're glad now that fuel prices are in the sky .. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin