Steel to aluminum welding

I saw a little bit in a Mazda ad, and thought it was interesting, which led me to this:
http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID 213
Bob

It's still a rare process, but friction welding of steel and aluminium has been around for some years.
Aluminium isn't difficult to weld, it's just that tricky surface layer. Friction welding goes right through it.

The process is known as "friction stir" welding. Do a google search on that name and you will leanr a lot about it.
It has gotten very big in the aluminum fab industry.
--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
bobbym wrote:

Every modern Navy ship since the '70s has been built with a steel hull and aluminum superstructure. They are joined with square strips of bimetal which has been explosion welded together. They seem to work fine. Save a whole lot of weight. Bet they're glad now that fuel prices are in the sky .. - GWE