ebay gas welding kits?

Quick question:

Been lurking a while and have learned lots already.

I'd like to start oxy-acetylene welding at home and need to buy a torches, regulators, etc. I noticed Victor or Harris kits at around $280 and some "Victor compatible" kits for around $100 or less. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" but in this case I'm only a weekend welder. Are the cheap kits good enough for what I'm doing? I'd like to save some money if possible but my biggest concern is safety.

thanks for the help

Reply to
jumper

I'm ashamed to admit I bought one of those $69 oxy-acetylene kits on eBay and it is quite serviceable. Now I use it mostly for cutting. At first I thought it was junk until I took a class and found that the good torches in class were just as hard to use!

Not sure how well it will hold up, as I've >Quick question:

Reply to
jimgnospam

Harbor Freight has genuine Victor torch kits for around $150. Search for "victor" on their web page. For OA I would stick to name brands.

Reply to
AL

"AL" wrote in news:23xcc.196475$_w.1917157@attbi_s53:

Thanks for the help.