Extension cord requirements for 220v MIG welder

Hi, I have a Millermatic 175 (220v MIG welder) and would like make an extension cord for it so I'm not so confined as to where I can use it. I asked a guy at a local welding shop if 50' or 100' is possible, he raised an eyebrow as if I was crazy and was talking about amperage loss over distance. It seems to me that if you have the right size wire, this should be do-able. How do you determine the correct size? 25' or

50' would work for me about 90% of the time, but it would be nice to have the ability to go further. I'm mostly welding light gauge steel (18 - 20 gauge) in and around my home/shop and on my project Jeep. Any feedback about this would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
kidakat

i've got a 50' 6 gauge (4 conductor) cord that works perfect for my 165 amp unit: no loss at all

Reply to
dogalone

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1120063323.033164.38120 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

You _could_ get a couple of 30' 50A 220V extension cords and tie them together OR you could go to your "friendly neighborhood electrician" and have him/her/it make up a couple of 50' cords with the _correct_ plugs/sockets on them.

Reply to
RAM^3

Ditto on that. You can get into a voltage drop if you use a LOOOOOOOOOOONG cord, but at 50' it won't be a problem. I got one from Home Depot, a 8ga, IIRC, and just put two new plugs on the ends. I thought that I might need

100', but as of yet, I haven't run into that, and happy with my fifty footer. I did make a pigtail so that I can plug it into dryer and range outlets, and have used that several times when welding at other people's houses. I just cut 12" from the HD cable, and put plug boxes on it.

If you are going to work a LOT, go heavier, but for intermittent light work, where you are using lower current settings, it will be fine. Get at least an 8, 6 would be better. Shop around. My HD was very reasonable.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It sounds like you've got a more powerful unit than the one I use. I think my Miller 175 output is rated: 130 A at 20 VDC. I was looking at getting 8/3 SOOW wire for this, maybe I need 6 gauge though.....

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
kidakat

Forgive me if I sound ignorant here but, won't I only need 6-3 or 8-3 (3 conductor wire)? Two conductors for current and one for ground?

Reply to
kidakat

The current draw from a 220V outlet for the Millermatic 175 is 19.5 amps, according to the technical specs on their website. A 10 gauge cord should be adequate according to this document:

you went over 50 feet, they recommend 6 gauge. A 50 foot 8 gauge cord sounds good.

Reply to
MSU Spartan

Actually, when I read the table at the Leviton site, it shows 14ga listed at 18amps or just about enough to handle the listed Millermatic current. For over 50' you go two sizes bigger ie 12 to 10ga

For intermittant or lower ampeage duty, at 100' 12 ga cable would be fine, if you fun full power, drop down to a 100' of 10 ga.

As for voltage dr> The current draw from a 220V outlet for the Millermatic 175 is 19.5

Reply to
RoyJ

I just put together a 8/3 extension for 75 feet. Cost was $1.35 a ft. 8 guage should handle 30 to amps 220 VAC ok with out much voltage drop. I had a Navy electrician tell me I could run 2 -12 guage 50' cords (one on each leg with a common ground) and it would handle 30 to 40 amps. I use an inverter TIG so the amp draw is relatively low.

-Mike

Reply to
mclorson

Sounds like a good one. Hope you have a helper to haul it around ! :-)

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

Now are you talking input or output wires !!! - that is 130 * 20 VA (sorta watts). 2600 VA - or 12 A at 220 Then you have to derate for lower loss over the length...

Houses are wired with 8/3 from the main outside panel to the inside one. Special cable. I suspect it is higher grade copper. (softer and lower resistance).

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

The ground conductor normally isn't counted in the cable description. A 8-3 cable has 3 insulated conductors and a bare ground conductor. However, you should always have a look at the cable or verify before you buy to be sure. In the case of 2 hot conductors a 8-2 cable would work - 2 insulated hots and the safety ground. You may find it easier to get 8-3 than 8-2. Also 8-3 lets you supply the neutral in your cord which may be handy if you should want to run a 120V device off it at some time (given that you have suitable plugs and receptacles). billh

Reply to
billh

not really all that heavy: would rather error on the safe side; was toying with the idea of having a 110VAC outlet at the cart for lights and tools

Reply to
dogalone

100' 6 gage here. Works fine for 220 volt mig, Idealarc 250 and the previous tombstone AC225. Up to 1/8" rod.

Gunner

Gunner

If you have an industrial surplus dealer in your area, you can often get heavy SOW cable quite cheaply..(YMMV). I think I pay a buck a pound for multi conductor cable. IRRC my 100' 6 ga extension cord cost $30 including the surplus connectors

Gunner

Gunner

Wow, it sounds like you found the right place to shop Gunner. Where's your Industrial Surplus dealer? And do they ship to Upstate NY? I'll look around and see what I can get, Thanks for all the help. I'm going to go with 6 or 8 gauge depending on the cost per foot. So far I'v found 8-3 for $1.5/foot and 6-3 for $2.20/foot. I like Gunner's 100' 6 ga for $30 better!

thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
kidakat

I have seen real deals on cables and wiring. You just have to get out there and beat the bushes. I once bought two PALLETS of welding lead at a government auction for $40. The two pallets were about three feet high when placed in my truck by the forklift operator. My truck was groaning by the time we got home.

I took a couple and sold the rest. I made out GOOD on that one.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Unicorn Metals, Lambert Road at Cypress, La Habra California.

Ask for Rito..and tell him the Cowboy from Bakersfield referred you.

Gunner

Gunner

There is a reason I was accepted to the Scroungers Hall of Fame...hummm or is that infamy...

No matter...either works

Gunner

Gunner

Small world. I used to live in LaHabra for quite a few years. Is it still a crappy smog haven like it used to be?

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke