Millermatic

Ok, so ive been trying to find a welder here used for a good while as i want something thats pretty capable yet dont have the funds to drop on a nice new machine. i found a used millermatic that seems prettty old but the guy just stopped using in his fab shop, it welds fine (he did a few welds to show me) and seems like a good unit. 60% DC @ 150 amps, which seems like more then enough power for me.

Heres the problem: the guy wants 500 for it, and seems to be a good deal. he just bought a new twco gun a year ago (he said) and i dont have an issue paying that price. the problem is that when i went to my local welding shop they sorta gave me the its really not worth it and you should be paying half of that. now i have been looking around for welding for a while in the area and i can say for sure that i wont be getting anything useable for under 400. i want to talk him down to 450 or so but im still not sure if its worth it. the shop sorta gave me the buy a new one with a warrenty sorta speach, but it seems that this machine is fairly well set-up, and hopefully i wouldnt run into any issues.

thanx for any help

Reply to
coldfusion21

"Never ask a barber if you need a haircut..."

Sounds like a fair price to me. You have done your research, you haven't been able to find anything better, so I would say get it and start welding!

Reply to
Emmo

What model is it? If it is the big one, like the 200, I would buy it in a heartbeat for 500 if it is in good shape. I had one for over ten years, and never even had to change the contactor points, and I used it for commercial work. A new Tweco gun used to run about $125, not sure now. Does that include a bottle and reg? If it does, jump on it with both feet, just get clear title to the bottle, and be sure it is not a rental. Any extras?

A Millermatic, a new Tweco gun, bottle, and reg are well worth $500 in good shape. Easy to get parts and service, and they run forever.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Aside from the fact I never viewed a 200 amp mig as "the big one";-) I agree with Steve. They are very good machines, bulletproof and well-proven. I've never used a Miller mig I didn't like.

John

Reply to
JohnM

"JohnM" wrote \

Was asking if it was the model Millermatic 200. A great machine. I bought one new for $1252 in 1980. Now, they have different models, some with spool guns, and sell for about $2700.

STeve

Steve

Reply to
SteveB