Filler for 7075

Hello all

I want to TIG some 1/16 7075 sheet. I have a limited selection of filler metal. I do have some 4043. Will that suffice? It is an outside corner joint on a box for junk.

I dont have a filler metal table handy.

Thanks, Jay Harmon

Reply to
Jay

7075 is not a weldable alloy. The welds will crack.

The only way to weld it is to shove lots of filler metal in and make a huge puddle. If you dilute the 7075 with enough filler rod you can kind of get a weld to not crack....much...maybe.

You can braze or solder it with low melting alloys.

7075 is never welded in industry. It is mechanically connected or epoxied.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Why is that? Having no books here right now, my memory tells me the major alloy in 7075 is magnesium.

I also have some 2024 T3, but because it is already cold worked, it cracks when put in a brake and bent more than, say 75 degrees. What would be a good method to anneal this aluminum so it can be bent

90 degrees?

Thanks for the info..

Jay

Reply to
Jay

The alloying elements content is too high. Not enough aluminum.

7075 has twice the tensile strength of 6061, but can't be welded. The main wing spars for Boeing jets are made from 7075, along with lots of other machined parts.

2024 is another alloy that is not intended to be welded. Airbus figured out someway to weld it using high speed lasers, but that doesn't mean much to a small shop.

You can bend it if you use a radiused bend, not a sharp bend.

Why can't you find some nice 5052 or 5086. Bendable, weldable, lovely stuff.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The main alloy is Zinc (5.6%) This makes welding without cracks next to impossible.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas A.Dixon

Jay

As far as the 2024 aluminum goes the reason its is not weldable is the copper content is too high.

Rod

Reply to
Rangerod

Jay, you can't sharp bend 2024T3, you need to put a radius in the bend. The usual formula is r+3t, or radis should be a mininum of 3 times the thickness of the material.

John

Reply to
JohnT.

That should be r=t3.