Gas post flow aircooled TIG torch?

Wonder if anyone has an idea of what gas post flow time should be for
air-cooled torch set up, being used with a 200amp inverter, mainly on
aluminuim?
TIA
Rob
Reply to
Rob Hart
As long as it takes to protect your weld puddle from being contaminated by the atmosphere. Post flow is to protect your weld not cool the torch. Good luck
Reply to
MES
Just downloaded very good Miller tech guide to TIG, and according to that, post flow gas needs to set at 1 sec, per 10amps of welding current, to prevent electrode oxidation (exactly the problem I am having).
Reply to
Rob Hart
Post flow is mainly to protect your tungsten. Protecting the weld puddle is secondary and only useful on Stainless steel.
I tend towards 15 to 18 seconds. The test is if you tungsten stays silver. If it turns purple then you need more post flow gas.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
contaminated by
Thats exactly the problem I was having Ernie............will reset post flow later today, and hopefully tungsten oxidation will go away.
Rob
Reply to
Rob Hart