GLOP!

Today, I had to section a couple of shelf stands. Nothing important, and nothing fancy. I've been having trouble with the contact points in my Lincoln 175 SP+. I say contact points in the loosest form of the word, as if consists of a small steel washer on a plastic pin, with a small spring behind it, and two wires as contactors. Cheeeeeeeeeeeezeeeeeeeee! Hope I got them working right. Time to go buy a decent gun! The stock gun is a plastic POS!

Anyway, I didn't want to go put on my contacts and cheaters, and didn't want to go way over to the container and get my autodark hood. So, I used my bifocals and a regular hood I had in the garage, where I could plug in my machine. Power not yet to container. I was taking apart the gun and trying a couple of tacks and repeating this a few times. It was intermittently windy, too. Bifocals were dark in the sunshine, and could barely see the puddle. Finally got the gun working decently, but hooooey, my MIG welds looked bad. Ground off a lot, but it still looks bad. I welded a tab on for support, but generally, I can butt weld this 18 ga. or so metal by a series of spots, and it comes out looking like TIG. Chunky peanut butter looks better than this!

Glad this is going back in a corner, and if anyone asks, it was some kid I was training to weld.

As long as it holds, what the heck.

But I hope no one sees it.

Working on shelves and a workspace in the container. Will be glad when it's all done. Cut the door and installed. More tomorrow, and a little each day. Better now that it's not 105 outside.

Where in the world did I accumulate so much shit?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" >

It breeds in the night. Near as I can tell, "stuff" consumes tape measures and screwdrivers, and produces more "stuff".

Reply to
BillM

Correct polarity? Liner sticking? My SP175T works great, stock gun and all.

Grant

Reply to
Grant

This was a combination of crummy malfunctioning gun, wind, bifocals, wrong hood, and a couple of other things I can't think of right now. ;-) I did look at a Radnor gun today, tho at the welding shop.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB