Helmet quality?

I made the first mistake of buying one of those chinese auto-darkening helmets on eBay. I couldn't see a thing, so after trying (briefly) someone's Miller, I bought a Millet XLi helmet ($175). I'm still having a hard time seeing the work - it adjusts from 9 to 13 and no setting lets me see well enough to stay where I need to be. I'm trying to weld a corner, which I guess is tougher to see than a lot of joints.

I've tried keeping the arc behind the nozzle, etc. but I just get a green bright spot with little surrounding detail.

Is the Miler XLi another inferior unit, or am I blind? I'm going to go find an old used fixed helmet today and see if it's me or them.

I thought it might be my polycarbonate eyeglasses, but it doesn't appear to get better with an old glass pair or none (of course, after groping around just to find the torch!).

Reply to
jimgnospam

the torch!).

Make sure any protective films have been removed from the clear lense protectors. Often there is a film on both sides that has to be pealed off before you install a new clear protector. The film makes the image very fuzzy.

I most often see this on Speedglas hoods.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

if I am reading your responce correctly , when you say NOT setting your helmet , you meen not turning it on ? so you got a $175 helmet and not even turned on ? the standard shielding of that helmet when not turned on is about shade #4 - 5 I hope you are not welding like that. if that is the case you could of just got a standard A/O welding shade for $10. whih is about shade #5 when you say you can not see a darn thing, it troubles me...... once you strike the arc you will not see anything other than the arc, the weld pudle and may be a 1/4 inch of the work piece around the arc. the rest will dark, that is the idea to protect you eyes from too much light and UV. have you tried to shine some additional work light (halogen ) on to the work piece ?

on eBay. I

9 to 13 and

bright spot with

Reply to
acrobat-ants

I guess I wasn't clear. My helmet was on, and I was tweaking the little dial on the inside (from 9 to 13). My problem has mostly gone away now that I've got my machine working a little better - I think I was being blinded by the sputters and pops due to insufficient gas at the torch - someone re-built my torch with an under-sized barb on the gas liner.

I'll try more light, but my welder p>if I am reading your responce correctly , when you say NOT setting

on eBay. I

9 to 13 and

bright spot with

the torch!).