Reply to
Russ

None of the adjustable lenses go down to #8.

#9 - #13 is the common range.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

/Nomex underwear: ON

I am also very new at TIG welding. I will never really be a weldor though.

I bought two expensive ( >US$300) auto darkening helmets in succession. Adjusted to their minimum shade, I simply could not see what I was doing. When I replaced the electronic module in one of the helmets with a shade #9 gold lens, suddenly I could see everything clearly. My welding improved dramatically after that.

Your Mileage Will Vary

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I want to thank you for helping me immensely--indirectly. I do a lot of flux-core welding, and I have never been able to see the puddle very well. I use a Harbor Freight helmet (much cheaper than yours) with diopter correction lenses installed. Based on what you said, above, I decided to try the hand-held filter that came with the welder, and WOW! I can see. So I started playing with my auto-darkening setup, and this is what I found. Counting the protective front plastic and the diopter lenses, I have to look through six surfaces--all were dirty, and some were scratched. Cleaned it all up, and my welding is improved. The biggest plus is that my welds go where I want, instead of wandering around in the haze.

All this time I thought it was the smoke from the flux-core, and I was trying to put up with it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

(Snip)

You are welcome!

That is what I found as well.

Seeing is good.

It makes me cringe every time I see someone arc weld without a helmet on _American Chopper_. "I'll just close my eyes. That'll work!"

Shudder.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston