Keeping weld rod fresh

I'm something of a newbie at this welding game, for me it is a hobby. I have learned much from this group, especially Ernie. My background is in chemical engineering, which colors my view of this subject somewhat. I take it that once a can of certain types of weld rod are opened, they have a limited shelf life. I take it that the presence of atmospheric moisture, CO2, and/or oxygen transforms the flux coating of the rods in question in a way that leads to substandard performance. My question then is this: would it be possible to restore the protective environment of the rod container by displacing the container outage with argon or helium, (both dry and inert gasses available to the welder) and then resealing the container? I cannot think of any reaction that would take place in such an atmosphere, and therefore it would seem that the rod coatings are protected from change. Comments? Ideas? Thanks.-Jitney

Reply to
jitney

good question, as i never got a response to wondering about using a gas/propane oven to dry 'em out...

Reply to
dogalone

For the home/farm user you don't have to get crazy. Just keep your rod dry by storing in an airtight container. I use some aluminum tube containers that I got from work when I was in my teens. Some people make up plastic pipe with caps on the ends or purchase air tight welding rod containers that are available from welding suppliers.

Some geographic locations have very high humidity levels and so greater care must be taken. If you live in the desert you could just about throw them on the shelf and forget it.

This is another matter if you are welding to a pressure vessel code. The above site gives some guidelines. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

"dogalone" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:lMlqc.136995$G snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net...

Drying is the point. Basic welding electrodes are hygroscopic. During welding the water is separated into hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen is bad for the metallurgical properties of the weld. It causes hydrogen embrittlement under the "right" conditions.

Reply to
MaterialsGuy